Thursday, January 14, 2010

Our Trip to Echo

While we were in Florida, we stopped by and saw a couple of old friends who live in Ft. Myers. Stan and Beth Doerr live at a place called Echo. Being friends with them, I had heard of this place for many, many, many years but never visited it. Since the fam was down, we decided to go and have a personal tour with our friends. It was awesome!

What they do is definitely multi-functional. There main purpose is to show people around the world how to grow there own food and thus provide food for their families for a lifetime. Here is a sign on their building with their logo and mission statement...


So, they literally have connections around the world with people. They also partner with other world relief organization such as World Vision and many others.

How do they do this? you may wonder...I am glad you asked.

They have volunteers and interns come and spend time there, learning how to grow different plants in different climates and landscapes. They then send out the interns as missionaries and teach people how to grow food that will thrive in their particular world region. It is an awesome thing! While I was there, I kept thinking of the old adage "Give a man a fish and feed him for a day...teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime." God is doing some neat things through this organization and they are able to minister to people by first feeding them and meeting a physical need and then explaining why they do what they do.

I was really impressed with the set up and the garden that they have. We got to eat 5 different types of oranges, which were amazing. We also ate a leaf that tasted like fruit, cactus and other plans as well.

Once again, I cannot state enough how impressed I was with the grounds and the work that they are doing. You should check out the website and get more information. Here is a link to their website. It really was a great day! Thanks to Stand and Beth for showing us around and thanks also for all that you are doing for people around the world.

Below are more images from our day there. I wish I would have taken more, but this is all we have.

Looking at some ducks in one of their ponds...


Dad and Cully feeding some of their rabbits...


Caleb holding a bunny...(sorry about it being sideways...just pick up your computer monitor and flip it sideways...I tried to get it to flip but it wouldn't let me save it after I had flipped it, so I guess I am saying sorry.)

No comments:

Post a Comment