Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Recap of Today, April 10th, 2012

Today was another good day! Caleb has felt great! Even now, he is talking about 100 mph. He is saying the craziest things! I mean he is saying anything and everything that comes to his mind. He is being so funny! He is like "I am tired", waits for a few seconds, and then rattles off on another tangent about something else.

We finally got him to calm down...now I can finish this post! (Totally kidding...hearing him be so energetic is amazing! We know that over the next few weeks he might not be like this so we are enjoying it!)

Another small thing that was a huge thing for us today was the result of a mistake on my part. I had said last night that we had to say goodbye to Arica, our fav nurse, but today was actually her last day. So, we had another day with a familiar face and it was great! We may actually get to see her again. We really do not want to, but it might just happen. If we do, it means we will be here through Sunday or Monday...more on that later.

Today we learned that Caleb's next treatment will potentially be a 4-5 day cycle. A lot depends on what we find out tomorrow. This means that we will probably not be home till Sunday or Monday. Once his chemo is done, they will be checking his blood level at certain times after it is done. Caleb will need to naturally flush the chemo out of his body...so they will be trying to get him to eat and drink a ton. When the chemo has reached a safe level in his blood, then we get to go home! That sounds awesome!

I feel like we live in two places. I have clothes in room 7122 and at 2182 W Dublin Ln. Is this what that guy on "Sister Wives" feels like? I feel like I can't find underwear, socks, t-shirts at either place. Right now I am sitting in the hospital wondering if I have shorts to sleep in and clothes for tomorrow. I am ready for this lifestyle to be over, but more importantly, I want Caleb to be better! I can take this if it means making him better so that he can live a long, healthy life!

We were talking about some of the potential side effects of the chemo today with Arica and in particular things she was telling us could be long term effects. I can't remember all of them but Tera said, "You can't think about 20 years from now, you have to think about making him better now. If we are more worried about the effects 20 years from now, it would be too late."

There are many times in life, and I am sure it is just me, that I worry about 5 years from now, 2 years from now, even 1 week from now. I sometime get to the point that I am so focused and worried about that point in the future that I miss the fact that there are things today I need to work on. And maybe, just maybe, if I realized that all I have is today, then 5 years from now will take care of itself. Also, if I do not take care of today, then what happens 5 years from now will not matter whatsoever.

Reminds me of someone who once said, "And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." (Matthew 6:28-34)

He must have known that I might have the potential to worry about 20 years from now at some point in my life (and many points besides this one as well). But what if Jesus was right? (I am sure that last question might seem strange for some...and if it does, does that mean you don't worry?) When I hear Jesus' words I have one of two choices...believe him or don't believe him.

So tomorrow, I will worry about getting results from the tests they run on Caleb and helping Caleb get better tomorrow. 20 years from now is too much to worry about. We keep telling ourselves, "A day at a time! A day at a time!" We will deal with 20 years from now when it gets here!

Celebrating a great day!

Grace and Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment