Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Recap of Today- April18th, 2012

Today was a good day. This is going to be short...I just fell asleep on couch with Cully so I am really tired!

I left the hospital around 2 pm to head home for church. My brothers and sister-in-law stayed with Tera for a bit this afternoon. Then my brothers brought Cully and Asher home to sleep and came to church tonight. Allyson stayed with Tera for the evening and then came home around 9 pm.

Tera is staying tonight. I really wish I could be there, but it is good to be home and to be with Cully. I have not been home since Sunday afternoon.

I am going to wake up ain the morning and get the final touches on the house done. The place looks amazing! Caleb's room got an over-haul and I will post pictures of it tomorrow after he sees it. Thanks to all the ladies that helped make that a reality. Also, thanks to all the people who cleaned every square inch of the house last Saturday. It looks awesome!

Tomorrow morning, Caleb has his spinal tap procedure again. It will only take around 15-20 minutes to get it done. My brothers are going up to be with Tera and Caleb early in the morning. The procedure is supposed to start at 8 am but it usually is always a bit later.

Once that is done, they will wake him up, make sure he is not having any side effects from the sleeping medicine, and then check that boy out of the hospital! You have no idea how big of a deal that is for us! We cannot wait!

Caleb has already put in his request for his special coming home meal tomorrow evening...ribs, mac and cheese and ice cream cake I believe. I am sure there will be a few more things, but those things will be served for sure. Also, we will be shaving heads tomorrow afternoon. Not sure what time exactly. He doesn't want a ton of people here as it could potentially be very overwhelming since he has not been home in over 3 weeks...but has asked that if people would like to join him in the shaving process, please send a picture of the before and after and we will put everyone's picture on the blog. Just send the picture to my gmail address: jeremythompson77@gmail.com. We look forward to seeing and sharing everyone's photos! We will have full pictures of all those in our family who will be joining the bald club society!

One prayer request: One of the side effects of chemo is sores in the mouth that are very painful...almost like cold sores or thrush that baby's often get. He does mouth care in which he has to swish two liquids around in his mouth three different times throughout the day to help potentially prevent it from happening. Today, Caleb has been complaining that his mouth is hurting with some intense pain. The doctors checked him out and said that there is nothing there right now but that it means several sores are getting ready to form. So, if you think about it, pray for his little mouth and that any sores would be quickly treated and gone or potentially just go away. This is such a minor thing compared to the cancer but for Caleb it is a pretty big deal and he would appreciate your prayers!

God's grace is huge and has been so evident in our lives! We never want to take it for granted! Tonight at youth group, we sang the Lifehouse "Everything" song. What a great worship song...yet once again very hard to sing! The chorus goes, "You're all I want, You're all I need, You're everything, everything". I sang it tonight with new and appreciated meaning. Then talked about the guy who finds a treasure in a field and it is so precious that he sells everything in order to buy the field. As I thought about that it also took on new meaning for myself...I mean he sold everything. He got rid of everything else in his life because this treasure was so precious and worth it! That will preach!

God's grace is a treasure that once I have seen it, I should forsake everything to live for it. Some say that you can receive grace and then do whatever you want with your life...it doesn't matter because it is covered. Not sure I agree! As Bonhoffer says, it kind of cheapens it! We watched a clip from "The Passion of the Christ" in which Jesus looks at Mary and says, "Mother, I am making all things new!" All things new! Notice he didn't say, "Mother, I am going through all of this so things can stay the same." The sacrifice that Christ made for the world was so that people would realize he has provided us a way to new life, different life, called out life...old things have passed away, behold everything is new! He didn't die so that we could just keep living the same old life! He came to make things new!

Bonhoffer would say that when we continue to live that same old life, we cheapen God's grace. May I never cheapen the sacrifice that was made. May I always view it as a precious treasure that causes me to forsake everything the world offers to make sure I am a part of this grace and kingdom. It isn't always easy to live in that grace...but it is worth it. One of Bonhoffer's lines was, "It is costly because it causes a man his entire life, it is grace because it gives man the only true life!" What a line and truth! I want to live the true life...I want to know what it means to be truly human and covered in that grace! I feel as though the past several weeks I have gotten a bit closer to what that looks like. I hope that this journey continues!

I am super tired! This post ended up being a little longer than I expected!

I will post more about tomorrow and let you know how our champ is doing!

Grace and Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment