Sunday, April 15, 2012

Recap of Today-April 15th, 2012

What another great day for Caleb! He had a little stomach ache this afternoon, but after a little medicine, it went away and he ate a big dinner...chicken dino nuggets, two string cheese (back on regular diet) and two things of chocolate ice cream. Then, he had a bag of goldfish before he took all of his pills and did his mouth care. He is now laying beside me, listening to his ipod and going to sleep.

He is really tired...he didn't sleep well last night and didn't nap at all today. I think nurses kept coming in and checking a few things as he was finishing his last chemo treatment last night and they kept waking him up. So, he is tired and was ready for bed!

As I think about the day, several things come to mind. Tera and I got to eat dinner tonight, by ourselves, which was amazing! I think it is the first time that has happened in several weeks (thanks Seth and Aunt Di). That is one out of the many things that has not happened over the past several weeks. I really miss that a lot! I can't wait until we can just lay in bed and talk before we drift off to sleep! We have been splitting time with Cully and hospital (by the time we go home it will have been for 3 weeks) and so those are things that I have missed! Another thankful for small things lesson!

We talked about our new life a bit and what it will potentially look like. It is a scary thing for both of us! To be honest, we are not sure we are up to the task! Please hear me...the doctors and nurses have done a great job of explaining everything to us and we feel like we know a bit about what is happening to our son as they take care of him. However, the thought of doing this without being able to push the red button and ask a question or get help when we need it seems overwhelming. What makes us qualified to do this? We do not have a medical degree in oncology. We do not have the latest tools and a supply closet with medicine and other things that Caleb could potentially need. We do not have many things that would make this a whole lot easier!

But one thing we do have for Caleb...LOVE! I can't tell you two people who love Caleb and Cully more. The one thing that will get us through all of this is love...for each other and for God! Our love for Caleb and Cully drives us to get answers when we need them and to seek for help when we need it as well. Our love for them causes us to do crazy things...like buy Leopard Geckos, let them crawl in bed with us in the middle of the night knowing that our once good night of sleep will now be lost with them in the bed, and other things that if it were up to me, I am not sure I would do them. But love causes you to do funny things. Although we may not have all of the answers, our amazing love for Caleb (and Cully) drives us to make sure we are doing everything we can for both of their safety and care. This situation will be no different! (I am reminded of God's love for the world...a love that said, "I will do whatever it takes to redeem creation back to myself"...and the crazy thing is He did!)

Our family will be stronger after this. Our marriage will be stronger after this. Our love for both of our children will be stronger after this and our faith will be stronger after this is over! I am so impressed with my wife and how she has handled this entire situation! I know that I could not have done it without her nor would I want to journey through this with anyone else by my side!

So even though this would be easier if we were doctors, we don't care! We will make it through together, as a family, no matter what comes. We celebrate the fact that Caleb is doing so well! But if I can be honest, there is a little something in the back of our mind that says, "you better wait...things are good now but know that they could get worse before they get better." In the midst of celebration, there is always a thought and knowledge that he will have bad days and that this journey is just beginning. We are continually reminded that it will be a difficult journey...and we continually remind Caleb, Cully and ourselves that no matter how hard it gets, we will make it! We are going to beat cancer!

For the rest of the week, Caleb will get a round of chemo every 12 hours. They are very small doses, but once again, the quantity says nothing about strength. So, for the next 3 days he will be getting chemo at 12 am and 12 pm. I think each dose is pushed through and only takes around 15 minutes.

We are eagerly anticipating Thursday morning when we tell room 7122 goodbye! Will we be back? For sure on the 7th floor and maybe even in room 7122, but getting home and all sleeping under the same roof for a few weeks is exactly what the Thompson's need! Caleb wants it, Cully wants it (he didn't want to leave hospital today) and trust me Tera and myself want it as well!

Have a great night!

Grace and Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment